Search This Blog

Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Raakhi Phenomenon...

The annual brotherly-sisterly event....the day when potential lovers may or may not receive shocks.....the day when people are seen sporting colourful designer thread on the wrists and the ladies, teeming blushing red, holding the gifts and sweets they have got in return....the day of complete animated events, not only on a personal level, but also on a public/business level....all in all, the day of events where one promises to be there for the other person....holding them in times on needs, while the other blushes with that confidence and sense of security, while the world around them just tries to make the things special for them, in an attempt to share the happiness of the moment! But is the thread a sole symbol meant for brothers and sisters only? Or does the meaning of "promised security and presence" still persists in existence? Or has this day evolved as a nightmare for guys....where some girls tend to seal the lid completel with this symbol? These are all various contexts of the current raakhi scenario, but today..I am writing about my only sister....the sole person who introduced me to this wonderful relation!

I belong to a family where the siblings of my generation are all boy! I don't know whether it was a sheer act of fate or a drought of X chromosomes in our previous generation men, but here we are....all boys! During childhood, I never had the feeling for a sister...neither did I think I need one! I had a conception that if I have brothers, we can wrestle our muscles, evolving our brotherhood and a sister is a proclamation of an incoming "nekami" and sole crying at every instance! God! I was so wrong! But hey, I was quite young then! Come the days of the cusp of my adulthood was the moment I truly realized the need for a sister. This was after meeting Priyanka, then...my budding sweetheart friend and also, the girlfriend of my batchmate! To be honest, we did spark off as very nice friends...slowly manifesting that part, but later on we shifted also to brother-sister relation. Okay, I have to admit....since I never had the need for a sister, I agreed onto that shifting solely because she was committed, and I do not flirt with committed girls! :P :D. This was, I guess, more of due to the flatterer and flirt in me...which acted on, but as the days rolled by, I started to realize the actual effect of this relation.

She trusted me more....and so did I. Sometimes, I ended up sharing things with her, to an extent I had never done before with my friends. Same was the response from her side. We had fights, conception disagreements...and what all and what not! But we stood still! At one point, we even had times when we simply stopped talking...or ended up having cold vibes, but I guess when back at home, it was this relation that geared ahead, keeping the bond alive! She teased me as though I never paid much attention to the girls who were already committed.....partly true, partly wrong, but I guess by this date, I have proved her wrong! I do care for her, the way a friend should do...the wat a brother should do! I am ready to support her in any manner, trying to introduce her to new opportunities she can try out, in order to truly test her potential (God, she knows how much "gyaan" have given her on this context), but on the bottomline, I guess after numerous good times and equally rough patches, I can say aptly that come what may, she'll always find me on her side!

I guess I have to hand it to her....having introduced me to such a pure relation! Yes, we are more like good friends, but by this time...the platform of it has evolved, and now....when I am miles apart from her, having received a raakhi by mail....I simply cannot stand still, admitting that I'm OK. I feel utterly nostalgic! I feel I could have been there, or she could have been here! I could have treated her, got her some new (ektu shosta) items....simply to watch her smile and her eyes starting to twinkle! I wish today could have been the day for us...where we could have met...not simply as friends, but as brothers and sisters! Yes, at times, we do flirt with each other. But that's the element of friendship! :P

So I guess this is me...signing off...saying a hi and a bye to me sweet sister! Stay beautiful dear....stay utterly sexy! And mind you, we can always go on a date baby! But don't worry, it'll be a date on the outside, but come inside, it will be a date of a brother...treating her sister, making her have a few moments of happiness! Chill re!

(Dedicated to Priyanka Paul....) (Aar bolbi je committed meyedr naki ami patta di na? )

.

No comments:

Post a Comment