Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Corporate Behaviour....

I guess it's almost 2 months here at Bangalore.....new job....new office (no permanent cubicle as of yet though)...new city...new environment (too costly I must say)....everything is new! But as a group of people, just baked out fresh from College, I guess somethings do not change...however newness is put in front of you! I am talking here of the so-called "College Behaviour"....the one appraised by people like us...and also the other employees at BTP (my observation)...the one loathed by HR Officials (why the hell I don't know)!

This is a flat organisation. People are cool....approachable....interactive, most importantly...friendly! But come the month of July-August, things steer in some other direction! The usual call for the past one a half months has been "This is not Corporate Behaviour", or "Guys! You are not in College anymore! Grow Up!". These words, as spoken by a much notable official, in quite a 'heavyweight' manner...was the top most hated quote...not because of the message, but for the tone! We all decide to have a face off with her...of course in the most polite and decent manner possible, and being a flat organization where feedbacks from the Chairman to the peon is goven equal weightage, she ends up noting down our names.....for what, that still remains a mystery (it didn't affect the last month's salary though....donno about the upcoming one!)! But still, the fact remains.....it's "Corporate Behaviour" which we all have to adapt to!

What is Corporate Behaviour? Is it the utter politeness we all have to bring to our voice tones? Is it the overflowing tinge of austerity and authority we have to imbibe? Is it the ultra-formal nature we all have to conduct ourselves in? Or is trying to be a human....who serves to be an example to behavious...as per the context of the HR Officials? Frankly speaking, I did not find a single such entity in my entire office building, for the past 4 weeks! Yes of course, I adhere to some sense of alertness and proactivity at office.....yes, I try to keep my conduct within the mentioned codes...I try to be friendly, but with a formal touch and slight pinches of informality....but never do I try to extend the adjectives to such an extent that it crosses Hook's Condition!

What I really am baffled with is that I never actually understand what the HR people are up to? Or what is it that they expect with other people? Come the topics of reimbursement, payments dues, stipends..and they scatter away like dust! Come the topics of lectures on behavious, how to be proactive, contributing to the Orgfanization and what all and what not....they keep on standing like a gigantic figure! But as per them....this is a flat organisation...feedback from every person is treated with equality! When you tend to clear your doubts about certain procedures and rules, they keep on going with their motor mouths, exclusive expressions, and mystical authority....but come the time when you ask about serious issues like stipends not to be paid in the salary accounts, the time frame for re-imbursements, and well....you can guess! But then again...this is a flat organisation....and feedbacks from every person is treated with equality. Want to be proactive? Want to approach the RnD department, thinking that you can stretch and do something more for yourself and the company? Well...go ahead! But later on...be ready to hear this : "See...this may be a flat Organisation...but rules are meant to be followed! We encourage your aspect, but not your behaviour! This is not corporate behavious....going up just like that....and talking to who ever you can! There are rules! There are procedures....There is a HIERARCHARY!" But then again....from the same mouth...on the first day at BTP...."This is a flat organisation...feedbacks from every person is treated equally! Getting the irony?

What I have personally come to think of is that HR people consider thier grades and seniority...to be something other than the track! The company I work in follows a flat hierarchy...but this is within your own team...your boss....and the other departmental people....but come HR, well...everything changes! I really wish to know what do they teach at the B-Schools they attend to prior to their jobs? I mean...why such a nature? I mean...people can be tough to manage.....but in a manner where you end up contradicting your own words...sometimes, the complany motto as well....is there really a need for such behavious? Oh sorry....such a Corporate Behaviour?

Well....I can go on with my own work! Trying to see I deliver the best...give the best...learn the best! But, as far as Corporate Behaviour is concerned..well....I am planning to apply for a Fellowship Degree at one of the B-Schools with this being my research thesis! Thinking of a reco from my HR Manager! What say? Should I apprach as " I want to apply Mam for a B-School Degree! Can I expect a recemmendation letter from the HR department?" plain...polite and simple? Or should it be...buttered with extra oil.....extra appreaciation.....some catchy accent...and most importantly...A+ Category of "Corporate Behaviour" (HR Recommended, mind it!)?

No comments:

Post a Comment