Search This Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Classificatons....

This may seem to be a Science subject, but relating to the point I'm mentioning here, it is not exactly so! I mean as far as I can remember the dreaded Biology classes, the worst was the one where came this chapter titled "Classifications"! Numerous species were grouped together.....the group names being the most uncanny and un-pronouncable ones! Tough to remember, tougher to recall during exams! But coming back to the present date, the title...the one very common among us...dreaded by every biology student.....is actually a part and parcel of our lives! The question is how far will you go?

Sharing a room with a person calls for adjustments! Sometimes sacrifices! But hey....there lies the fun right? I mean one can really get to know their extent and stretchability by doing and experiencing similar things! But, how possesive are you? Not in the context of relations but on a more materialistic approach? I mean...do we label eveything we own?

I own a lot of things here! Books, my deo, my spectacles, my purse (obviously) and numerous big and small items! So does my roommate! Sometimes, it so happens is that we may share a particular thing having decided on a treaty of equal share! But do we actually end up sharing a deo bottle, to the precision of 0.01 ml? Or do we ever share a packet of biscuits having consumed exactly 5 out of the 10 pieces in the packet? Ever heard of a story where people end up sharing equal bed spaces on the bed, even though they share the room rent? I doubt that!

The point is, in a world like today, where some say ethics are the notions of the past....where utter practicality and self-centred nature is th best approach to life, at least economically and financially, there comes a time when you reallise that sharing a thing or two out of your own pocket does not actually trigger a heart attack! I mean, c'on. I too value my finances to the extreme! I maintain cost sheets, try to normalize my daily expenses and keep a copy of my calculations down to every rupee! If anybody owes me even say Rs 10, or coming down, Rs 5 or 2, I ask for them! That is my right! Some may find this a bit offending, but its a fact. Most importantly, it's me! But hey, asking somebody to accompany your down to a local store, offering them a cup of coffee....or say some friends come over and you decide to pay for their dinner or lunch...feels good! Not that you're trying to prove a point, but simply because you want to do it! Isn't it an ancient phrase stating what goes around, comes around?

Now, what if people start demarcating every single thing, as their own? Not other's items.....but their own belongings, to the extent that others think twice to even use it for emergency purposes? What if you're asleep...while your friend suddenly falls sick....in need of a tablet which you have. Knowing it is there in the box labelled "My Medicine Box", will he/she even have the urge to ask you for it? You may allow on medical grounds, but what about the other ones? This is definitelty not self-centrness.....this is sheer parition! Being Indians....we all know greatly about this term, right from the freedom eras! Don't you think it's time we at least relax some laws....laws set by us....here and there? I mean....the Border, which every nation fights for, isn't exactly demarcated by such long lengths of fences! Neither is a single gallon so accurate while sharing an oil well between complanies! Nor is every drop of water from a lake shared so accurately by various dams!

The whole point in writing such long paras...at 1:30 in the night (Saturday night of course! :P) is to state that yes, I believe in practicality and equal share! I believe in owning things....using them for my own convinience! Yes, I believe that things I pay for....must be used in such a manner that I do justice to my bills! But this does not mean that I will draw my own border, in my own domain....simply to keep people out! If you feel wrong or uncomfortable....just blurt it out! Thing's will become understandable....once you yourself understand and allow other's to do the same! Enforcement, as we all know...leads to one thing - WAR! And who can know this better than our current generation? So guys....signing off....just to remind you....use your own things....make your point...your region...but not borders! It may hurt others, may increase your profitability....but trust me, its definitely not a profit you'll end up enjoying!

(Based on a true and recent incident! )

No comments:

Post a Comment