Search This Blog

Friday, August 5, 2011

"The GODFATHER" Aftermath

Every year, at the Book Fair, I keep my quest on rearding the discovery of a classic so pure, so tempting, so irresistable that I guess when I finish turning the last page of the book, I would get goosebumps and experience a new feeling. I guess my quest is over. This year...my most memorable and lucrative investment at the Book Fair : Mario Puzo's "The Godfather" (not to mention the 20% discount!) :D



Starting to read the classic took me a staggering 5 years. I don't know what was it that kept me away from it, but I didn't dare touch the book whenever I had the chance of owning a copy! But this February, I guess all that was left behind. Having started off with the characters of "Sonny" Corleone, Michael Corleone, Freddy Corleone, Tom Hagen, Luca Brasi , Johnny Fontane and most important of them all : Don Vito Corleone (The Godfather), I knew that the week meant for me to prepare right on for my GATE had been swept aside. Of course, the sweeping aside is not that literal, but the mere power of the Book 1 of this classic to enough to make you stay awake after the studies till the point your eyes and mind go for a duel!



As a friend of mine had advised me prior to reading the classic, this one is truly an complete education pool. The true meaning of Blood Family, the essence of friendship and loyalty, the tacticity of planning and business acumen....all complied in a mere copy first printed over 6 decades ago! Be it the Don's sleek and charming charisma, enabling him to overpower his enemies, and his hearty soul equipping him with the antics to bond relations and nurture them....or be it Sonny's errand moves, high temperament, erratic intelligence, fearful image....or Tom's undying love for his godfather...you actually end up connecting yourself with either one of the characters' and then enjoying the page turning as if you're reading a diary! I guess that's where lies the true power of this book.



I haven't seen the movie yet. Neither have I read any other masterpieces from Puzo's mind....but I guess am dying for more! Its a sheer feeling....the introduction to the world of Mafia, the fall of Corleones and the rise of an unexpected, brilliant and young son of the family to re-establish the family name! It's simply superb! I myself am a true book buff. I love the like of Dan Brown, Grisham, Nicholas Sparks, Eric Seagal and others....but I guess it's Puzo that has left me baffled at this antique piece of brilliance! No wonder I am writing this note in a small attempt to share my joy to have enjoyed the book, and in a manner, add a tinsel dedication to the sheer classic!



Hats off to the author! Truly in his own words "The book made me such an offer that I simply couldn't resist"! :p



.

No comments:

Post a Comment