Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hope I Do Good

This one is regarding a certain thing that I am doing on my mom's request! Rather, I would say helping out someone to be able to achieve something in his life. My housemaid's son in currently in his high school days. He's got brains but not the atmosphere of education. He's got moral support, but lacks financial support! So when my maid asked mom about helping him out with his studies, mom asked me to do it! Now I love teaching! I enjoy it very very much and thus I agreed!

But to be honest with you, I had got into a duel with my mom over this issue as I knew I wouldn't be getting anything in return! I was used to the more practical mode of tutions - go, teach and get paid! (I mean, come on. I have things of my own to do, and even though I love teaching, I so expect something in return) So, my mom insisted and I had to succumb as she had given her word! This was me about a month ago. But now, I regret over my actions as I recollect all these! The reason is as follows!

The first day, this boy comes to my home and we sit down to go ahead! I take out a book and start explaining him all the related topics and aspects of that chapter and he listens intently! After the half hour session, he speaks for the first time. He asks me a doubt about a certain topic, and mind you...the question was very very apt and to the point! This attitude struck me and left me mesmerized for a few moments as I did not expect this from a boy his age! I gladly explained! He left and I kept thinking about this! The next day he comes, I learn that he didn't even touch the assignments that I had given him to complete! I was a bit angry, but I waited for the reason to fall on my ears! He told me that his mom returned late and so he had to wait till her return at his neighbour's house. Next day, he had school early and he dozed off! Genuine, but still I had expected him to give more effort!

A week later, he turns up again, as scheduled. This time, he had completed the work and stormed me with doubts. First I thought that did i guide him properly? But leaving that thought to a corner, I learned that he literally pondered over the matter that was taught to him and and had gone deep. Now this was something that I was seeing for the first time in my life. I mean come on, even I wasn't so sincere. That session ended after an hour or so and on that day, I realised something very humourous!

All these years, I was teaching numerous grades and they responded well. But I was happy only on my pay day (no laughs or sulks here, please! It's just human nature). But after that day, I truly got to realise that my claim of loving to teach was true! I felt very humble yet proud to have taught this boy. However, this feeling drowned in another mixed feeling of self-sulkness over the fact that the thing which my mother had realised was good took me such a long time to realise! God! I had even fought with her to avoid the boy! I guess that's the reason why mothers are mothers. But coming back to the topic, what I want to convey here is the fact that we do a lot of things in life which we love or which excite us to the supreme! But have we ever, on our own, given a thought about doing that same stuff with the same dedication, for FREE??? I don't about you, but before this, I definitely did not!

We all have talents and we love them! We love the fact more that we can sell them and try for that desperately. But have we ever shared it for free? Not for self gains but to help others? Not for financial stability but solely for self satisfaction? I think that maximum of us, especially of our generation, thinks in such a manner! Try it! If you think that doing a certain job makes you happy, heres the golden test - just do it for free! Do it with full dedication, but zero expectation! Then you can really justify your claim! I just learned this the hard way! Hope you can do it better!

Now, the present scenario is that I look forward to teaching this boy whenever I get time! Even though I can be dead tired, but I know that doing this will make me feel good about myself! Moreover, what I truly hope for is to do him good! That's my real aim as of now!

3 comments:

  1. its not that you don't expect anything in return...you do expect this boy to do well in exams...and trust me when his results will show the hard work,the affection that went to his teaching you'll be ecstatic..as a teacher nothing can be more rewarding..and this i'm saying from what i've experienced personally :)

    ReplyDelete