Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ich Liebe Dich!

The first and the foremost thing that will come into one's mind upon reading the title is that "What the hell does it mean?". Well, I won't blame them, but its just that I want to exercise certain German linguistic skills, which I have recently acquired. Literally, the line means : I LOVE YOU in German. The line is not at all uncommon in our lives. I mean, every person has used this some or the other time in their youth (or even old age :D). Some might have used it once, twice, others might also have practiced saying it quite a number of times. But hey, I am not indulging into discussing a particular person's love life (neither am I doing so for mine), but I am intending to do so on a general basis.

I LOVE YOU! The line can mean practically anything. By dictionary terms, it connects to expression of affection to somebody who holds a special place in our hearts! But in modern days, this line has lost its true inner meaning. I mean don't you think so? Whenever we feel like saying this to somebody, that somebody has to be a girl/boy who we expect to be our love-relation-partner! But can't we say this to our parents? Can't we say it to our sibling? Or even our teachers? Of course we can! We even do so! But one question: can't we say this to our (opposite sex) friend??? Here lies the whole confusion!

We all have certain emotions attached with our friends! We meet "n" number of people, but we become close with a few. Even out of that, we become true friends with a special few. But if that friend is an opposite sex being, and you are already engaged to someone...and well...u utter this line for that friend (under certain circumstances)....u can guess what's in store for you! I won't blame anyone, but isn't it worth a thought that we ought to change our views regarding this matter. If I, being a boy, say the line to a girl, who's a very close friend of mine, does it mean that I am proposing her? I believe friendship emanates from small instances and verbal quotes like this! If you mean that he/she is truly a lovable friend, why do we have to re-phrase the line as "I love you....as a friend" ??? We can, definitely! But say a friend has done something for you, which was out of expectation, self-less mannered and aimed solely for your happiness and if we say this line, why is it that at first the words seem a bit shocking?

The topic is quite controversial (socially, but don't you think that we, being in a society as yours, where later on...owing to time paucity, we may not even have a chance of meeting and spending quality time with old buddies, these certain things live on in your minds for us to cherish? We this is definitely so! As far as relationships are concerned, I thinks lovers understand each other too well to react on petty issues like this (I hope this line is agreeable to all).

So, after almost 4 paragraphs, one may think why the heck is the title in German then? There's no German in this entire blog! Well, guys, my blog...so its my way! And most importantly, I do not know German so much so to write an entire blog in that language, I mean c'on...am still learning yaar! :D. But on a serious note, I just want to convey one thing from this piece of writing! If you criously feel for a friend (not that kind of feeling ;) ), say it! What's the harm? Believe me, that friend will be proud that he/she has someone so caring as a friend! If you really consider a person to be one of your closest alibi, just say it! There's a guarantee that there will be no confusion! One one thing will prevail in the aftermath.....rather not prevail, but will enhance...and that is the essence which we all cherish in our lives : Friendship and Care. Or in other words : Freundschaft und Pflege (in German)!! :D :P ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment